'Poverty alleviation through education'
Who we are
Educated horizon is a charity organisation formed by a network of dedicated volunteers working as professionals in the United Kingdom and Zimbabwe. Our goal is to provide education support to disadvantaged school children affected by political unrest, economic downturn and the prevalent HIV and AIDS pandemic in Zimbabwe. Together, we see 'going to school' as an antidote to most of these problems.
Education is one of the keys to eradicating poverty in Zimbabwe. Our goal is to provide education support to disadvantaged schools and children affected by political unrest, economic downturn and the prevalent HIV and AIDS pandemic in Zimbabwe. We aim to raise education standards to a level were children grow up to become self-reliant adults who can make their own well-informed decisions about life.
- One in three children (30%) is not in school mainly due to unaffordable fees charged in US dollars.
- 50 to 1 is the average student to text book ratio making it ridiculous to expect meaningful results.
- Teenage girls are missing a quarter of the school term due to lack of sanitary wear and as a result, fail their final examinations.
- Rural schools are grossly understaffed – typically 1 teacher for every 90 students.
- One in five adults (20%) is HIV positive and on average, half of children at most rural school are orphans.
Lynia Gavi (Chair - UK)
Bright Dzinotyiwei (Operations Director – Zimbabwe)
7 Hatton Garden
Registered: England & Wales
Charity Number: 1124975
Area of operation
|Mashonaland East Province||Masvingo Province|